Friday, April 07, 2006

Letter In Support Of Congressman Ford Appears In Newsweek Magazine

The following letter in support of Congressman Ford and his candidacy appears in the April 10, 2006 edition of Newsweek magazine:

Unlike any republican, including my own Congressman, Harold Ford Jr. attended a service for my son, Andrew, who was killed in action in Iraq. He has also attended most local Memorial Day and Veterans Day events since my son's death. He's done this without fanfare and has provided a measure of comfort for the local families who have lost loved ones in Iraq.

I do not take a position on the war and I am an independent. But, from Ford's actions, not his words, I've concluded that the Congressman is a very good man -- a man for whom I will vote. His intellect and mastery of national and international issues come across clearly in his media appearances. From the perspective of someone who has observed the Congressman in the most poignant and somber of settings, I can attest first hand to his not being the "international dilettante" that the Republican Web site you mention makes him out to be. Congressman Ford has demonstrated a concern and empathy for his constituents and others in his home state. He is not responsible for the actions of his extended family members.

Richard Stern
Germantown, Tenn.


Comments: Amen, Richard! I couldn't have said it better myself!