Today, Tenneseeans all across the state will head to the polls to vote on various races in the state, including the Democratic and Republican primaries for the U.S. Senate.
On the Republican side, it will either be Bob Corker, Ed Bryant, or Van Hilleary, each of whom represent failed leadership and more of the same.
However, on the other side, Tennesseans have a real choice in moderate Democrat, Harold Ford Jr.
Congressman Ford is a rare politician who throws partisanship and all other things which divide our society out the window, strictly focusing on doing what is right for all the people he represents and finding innovative and fresh solutions to the problems that confront our state and nation.
During his time in Congress, he has earned a reputation as being a consensus builder and is respected widely on both sides of the aisle.
In this election, Congressman Ford is offering the people of this great state change and real leadership--which is a welcomed relief.
While his Republican opponents have dedicated most of their time to attacking each other and the Congressman in this race, Ford has laid out a vision that will put Tennessee and our nation back on the path to success. His vision includes the following:
- 1. Pass a constitutional amendment to balance the budget and simplify our tax code so deficits and taxes will come down, investments in education, new jobs and technologies will go up and Tennesseans can start working and earning more.
- 2. Reduce our dependence on foreign oil by 75% in 10 years (1), maintain the smartest and strongest national security and emergency response strategy at home and abroad, protect our borders and never again send Americans to war without a clear purpose, mission and exit plan.
- 3. Make healthcare and prescription drugs affordable for seniors, veterans and hard working American families, and ensure that no Tennesseans have to fend for themselves alone during a hard time. (1, 2, 3)
- 4. Pass a campaign ethics law that gives ordinary people equal say with special interests in Washington.
- 5. Restore a sense of fairness and morality to the American dream by giving every child in America a fair start in life and guaranteeing college tuition in exchange for national service for all willing to serve their country. (1)
Put simply: he is just what we need in our next U.S. Senator.
So today when you go to the polls, send the Republicans a message. Tell them you are fed up with their failed policies and failed leadership and are ready for a change in the form of good results. And that is why you are voting for Harold Ford Jr. and his new generation of leadership!
Give Tennessee "Hope" once again this year! Vote for Congressman Harold Ford Jr. for a better future!
My Republican Primary Prediction
Hey guys, just for fun, here is my prediction for the Republican, or as I like to call it, the guy who Harold Ford Jr. will beat in November, primary.
Feel free to share your prediction with everyone!
Bob Corker: 42%
Ed Bryant: 32%
Van Hilleary: 26%
Outcome: Bob Corker will win by a little over 10 percentage points. Ed Bryant will come in second, while Van Hilleary brings up the rear.
If Van Hilleary or Ed Bryant would have dropped out in this race, I personally believe the one remaining would have beaten Corker. That would have given Republicans a clear choice between the more moderate Corker the more conservative Hilleary or Bryant. However, that did not happen.
Although he is victorious in the primary, Corker comes out of the race bruised and battered. Recent attacks from his opponents, as well as negative media has dampened Corker's recent surge.
As of right now, it is a dead heat between Corker and Harold Ford Jr., with a slight advantage going to Ford due to his recent momentum in polling, fundraising, and surge in grassroots support.
Get ready for a wild ride folks!
Days of Congressional Inaction on Ethics
Above is the number of days that have passed since Jack Abramoff pleaded guilty to bribing Congressman.
It is also the number of days in which Congress has failed to pass an ethics reform bill that would limit private travel, ski and golf junkets, and would call for a full disclosure of expenses by lobbyists on members of Congress.
It is time for Congress to step up and pass an ethics reform bill that would do all of the above. In addition, it is time to end the pork barrel spending system as we know it and establish an independent ethics commission that would review ethics complaints against members of Congress.
I am proud Congressman Harold Ford Jr. is fighting for that reform!