Monday, November 07, 2005

Ford Campaign: East Tennessee Travels

We had another good campaign swing - this time thru East Tennessee on Halloween with the help of my friend Mark Padgett.

We started early Halloween on the influential and popular Hallerin Hill morning show at 7a. I did the full hour where we talked about high gas prices, the Alito nomination, the need for change in politics and how the Senate race is going. We took a few calls mostly about the Alito nomination and the huge profits being enjoyed by oil companies.

I shared on the program that I cannot support a tax increase for any of the more than 95% of the households in Tennessee earning under 100K a year. I can't do it. I also shared that if we would just lower the tax break enjoyed by millionaires this year from $103,000 to $90,000 we could avoid cutting the food stamp and low income energy assistance programs this year to pay for Katrina rebuilding and war costs. That means millionaires would gain $90,000 instead of $103,000 to pay for food stamps and assistance to pay your winter heating bills.

We left there for a brief meeting and coffee with my friend George Korda. His friendship and advice I value greatly. He introduced me to several of the folks in the coffee shop Panera Bread. The bagel was good as well.

We left Panera for Maynard Elementary, principaled by Brenda Reliford. What an amazing and inspiring story Maynard is - once an underperforming school but no longer because of the support of Vice Mayor Mark Brown, School Board Chair Sam Anderson and Project Grad. Clearly, the reconstituted team, led by Ms. Reliford, has helped to transform the culture of expectations in the school. I want to thank the leadership of Project Grad and its executive director Jerry Hodge for their commitment to these kids as well as Susan Thayer, Heather Bledsoe, Dena Byas, Kara Mayo, Cornelia Reece, Bert Lanauze and Melissa Wall. Also, before we left we gave Halloween candy to the students.

At 11a we left for Gibbs High where I spoke to AP American and European History classes. Organized by Dean Harned, a long-time friend of Mark Padgett's, the presentation and question and answer session went well. We covered the Supreme Court nomination, gas prices, budget deficits and the CIA leak case. The kids were interested a knowledgeable about current events.

Afterwards we grabbed a quick cheeseburger at one of my favorite places in Knoxville, Litton's. As always, it was good. From there it was off to Harrogate, Tennessee for a visit to Lincoln Memorial University where I met up with Dr. Loren Rice, a professor of American history and Economics. I spoke and took questions about the war, deficit spending and the need for new sources of energy. After class, I got a quick and interesting tour of the Abraham Lincoln Library and Museum. I'm a Lincoln enthusiast and admirer. I thank Mayor Bill Fultz, Michael Lynch, Dr. Charlie Hubbard, Michael Clyburn, Steve Wilson, Cynthia Whitt, Trevor Warwick, Eddie Shofner, Derek Markley, Katherine Reagan, David Gilbert, Sandra Sizemore, Ashley Booker, Lukas Burkon, Oscar Hicks, Aaron Hammons, Patrick Blair, Elena Huckikova, Dr. Magaline Harris Taylor and Chris Sheraan for their generosity.

We left the school for a meeting on the Courthouse steps with Attorney David Stanifer in Tazewell, Tennessee. Both Tazewell and Harrogate are in Claiborne County. We were expecting a crowd of 10 to 15 because of the late notice. We had several dozen instead. I was told by a few folks that my Imus appearances are contributing to my popularity in Claiborne County. Again, thanks to David for his kindness and patience because we were running late.

We left Claiborne County around 430p for the hour drive back to Knoxville for a Halloween event at the Boys and Girls Club and then for a young professionals meet and greet in downtown Knoxville organized by Robbie Pope, Matt Padgett and my good buddy Matt Brotherton. He and Padgett have been great to me. The crowd of about 50 crowded into a small upstairs room at the Downtown Grill and Brewery and listened to me share how we can make government more responsive to the needs of every American. I was also grateful to see my friend Bill Owen at the grill.

Our final stop of the day was a terrific dinner with Mark's parents, Mike and Patty Padgett, Randy and Laura Nichols, Jim and Rosalyn Andrews, Mark Brown, Sam Anderson, my buddy Joe Armstrong, Bill Owen and County Commissioner Diane Jordan. We talked politics, strategy and about how good the food was at the Riverside Tavern that night. I want to thank the whole staff at the restaurant for their graciousness, service and support they pledged the campaign. We are going to get them involved.

Via: Campaign email